Last Made: 2020-07-07
Cheesy Mexican Lentils, Black Beans and Rice
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1 cup uncooked French green lentils, rinsed
- ~4 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle powder (optional)
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup fire roasted tomatoes, drained
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 1 small zucchini, shredded
- 14 oz (1 bag) defrosted frozen corn
- 10 oz red enchilada sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese, I used sharp cheddar and part skim mozzarella
- Cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Heat a large pot or saucepan over medium high heat.
- When the pot is heated spray with cooking oil and add in the onion and garlic.
- Sauté for a couple minutes then add in the brown rice and lentils.
- Add in the vegetable stock, stir and bring to a boil. Pull corn out of the freezer to defrost.
- Once boiling, cover and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until lentils and rice are tender. If there is any excess liquid drain it.
- Season the rice and lentils with salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and chipotle powder.
- Add in all of the remaining ingredients except 1/4 cup of the cheese and stir together.
- Heat the mixture until the cheese is melted.
- Top with the remaining cheese and cover with a lid.
- 10. Heat on low until the cheese is melted and the mixture is bubbly.