- 2 tablespoons olive oil,
- 1 small onion; chopped,
- 2⁄3 cup fresh cilantro; chopped,
- 3 minced garlic cloves,
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes,
- 4 cups chicken broth,
- 3⁄4 tablespoon cumin,
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chili powder,
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper,
- 1 -2 bay leaf,
- 2 carrots; thinly sliced,
- 2 skinless chicken breasts; halved and thinly sliced,
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt,
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese,
- 1 -2 avocado; diced,
- 16 ounces tortilla chips
In a large stock pot, heat the oil over high. Add onions, 1/3 cup cilantro and garlic, sauté 3 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes and spices, then bring to a boil.
Add the broth, carrots and chicken. Return to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and cook another 10-12 minutes.
Stir in half the cheese and 1 cup crushed tortilla chips.
Ladle into bowls and top with remaining cheese, fresh cilantro, fresh avocado, and more tortilla chip pieces. Serves 4+.
*This is a great recipe for leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken. Just add it in at the very end to warm it up!