Last Made: 2020-05-04
Chicken Mozzarella Pasta
- 1 pound penne or rigatoni
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 25-ounce jar good-quality marinara sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into medium cubes
- 1/4 cup Parmesan shavings, plus grated Parmesan, for serving
- 12 basil leaves, cut into chiffonade
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces in a single layer and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Allow it to cook, without stirring, until golden, about 2 minutes. Stir the chicken around to brown it on all sides. Remove to a plate.
- In the same skillet over medium-high heat, add the garlic and onions and stir immediately to start cooking. Cook until the onions are deep golden, stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and pour in the marinara sauce, red pepper flakes, and 1/2 cup water. Stir until the onions and garlic are mixed in, then add the chicken back to the skillet. Add the parsley and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Make sure the sauce is bubbly and very hot, then gently stir in the mozzarella. Let sit, undisturbed, until you can see that the mozzarella is very soft, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and pour it onto a platter. Drizzle with a little olive oil. Immediately sprinkle on the Parmesan shavings. Pour on the sauce, sprinkle with grated Parmesan and the chiffonade of basil and serve immediately!