Last Made: 2019-02-12
Black Bean Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can garlic fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 (15 ounce cans) black beans (2 undrained and 2 drained and rinsed)
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (4 ounce can) diced green chilies
- 1 cup frozen corn thawed
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- ½-1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
- fresh chopped cilantro for serving if desired
- Add two cans of undrained black beans to a food processor and pulse until thickened. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven or pot.
- Stir in onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes, all of the black beans, chicken broth, green chilies, corn, cumin and chili powder.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- If the soup is too thick add more chicken broth. If you would like it thicker puree some of the soup in a blender or food processor.
- Take off of the heat and stir in fresh squeeze lime juice.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately with fresh chopped cilantro for serving.